day 4
Spexy1
2015-09-21 13:39:52 UTC
Hi i stumbled across low carb dieting after a visit to my docs for a
general check up, the nurse said you've put weight on try cutting your
carb intake, so i came home and googled.

day 1 no breakfast i rarely eat breakfast, about 11am i had some
crushed nuts, almonds, hazel nuts, pastachio a couple of raspberries
and blackcurrents and a few blueberries, and a tablespoon full of
natural yoghurt, mixed it all together was chewy so filling and tasted
good i felt satisfied when finished.

tea i had cheese and onion omlette and some chicken just a bit i had left over.

supper i had 2 hard boiled eggs

day 2 breakfast the same as day 1 * I enjoyed it and it filled me so i
had it again*

tea a duck breast and salad

supper a coupe of slices of gouda cheese and a four black pepper crackers

day 3 breakfast again the same

tea spagbol sauce with extra mushrooms left whole and extra onion
chopped over about 150g of cauliflower

supper 2 hard boiled eggs

got weighed this morning i have lost 6lbs :) i heard you loose it quick
but that's brilliant for me as i havent felt hungry once, i've had no
bread potaoes or sweet stuff but to be truthful so far not missed it.

I had 3 rashers of bacon fried 2 fried eggs 5 medium mushrooms left
whole cooked on the goerge forman grill and half a tin of baked beans
excess juice removed

i'm having 2 small fish fillets * Pollock * with a salad for tea

and not thought about supper.

The only reason i'm posting this is i've had a weight problem most of
my life and struggled to manage my weight but the last 2 years i gave
up * Sick of trying * and gained more weight till i reached 20st 12lbs
my highest weight ever and i was struggling walking sweating and
breathless, so hence when the nurse confirmed i needed to loose some
weight i agreed with her.

i initially thought if i could loose 12lb in say 6 weeks and take it
from there, so after losing 6lbs after a few days without hating my
diet and feeling hungry i thought i'd share it with the web.

I fully understnd everyone is different and that my weight might loss
might slow down or stop but at least the initial weight loss is giving
me hope that i might be able to eat, feel satisfied and lose weight.

I read that it is possible to lose up to 20lb in the first few weeks on
this kind of diet, then it plataues and people head for the nearest
bakery and fall back into old way.

I read after 2 weeks 1 day a week eat carbs not loads but maybe say
fish n chips and a couple of slices of bread and butter, do this just 1
day a week and the other 6 days eat low carb diet again.

2 weeks later eat carb 2 days a week and low/no carb the other 5 days,
this way you don't get bored and apparently the weight continues to be
shed.

as i say it all sounds promising and i'm only on day 4, I will upday
every two weeks or so to let anyone interested how its all going .

Spexy1
trader4
2015-09-26 17:05:28 UTC
Post by Spexy1
i initially thought if i could loose 12lb in say 6 weeks and take it
from there, so after losing 6lbs after a few days without hating my
diet and feeling hungry i thought i'd share it with the web.
I fully understnd everyone is different and that my weight might loss
might slow down or stop but at least the initial weight loss is giving
me hope that i might be able to eat, feel satisfied and lose weight.
I read that it is possible to lose up to 20lb in the first few weeks on
this kind of diet, then it plataues and people head for the nearest
bakery and fall back into old way.
Your initial loss of 6lbs in just 4 days is mostly water. When you
restrict carbs to a low level, you burn the glycogen which has water
bound to it. If you were to go back to your previous diet, that
water weight would return in a day. It's a good part about LC, that
fast shedding of some pounds, it gives you positive reinforcement.
But it is what it is.
Post by Spexy1
I read after 2 weeks 1 day a week eat carbs not loads but maybe say
fish n chips and a couple of slices of bread and butter, do this just 1
day a week and the other 6 days eat low carb diet again.
Some people do that, but AFAIK there is no documented track record
of success. Atkins is the most successful of the LC plans. Atkins
believed that any introduction of excessive carbs, like the one day
idea, can instantly bring back hunger, cravings, etc. It probably
varies from person to person. I have a friend who is 300 lbs, I've
tried to get him to do Atkins, but he rolls his own plan. One time
he did something close to Atkins and was losing a lot of weight,
doing great. Then he started telling me how he found he could have
one day a week off, eat what he wanted for a day, etc. I warned him
that it wasn't a good idea. Within a month the diet was over and he
put all the weight back on.
Post by Spexy1
2 weeks later eat carb 2 days a week and low/no carb the other 5 days,
this way you don't get bored and apparently the weight continues to be
shed.
Maybe, I have my doubts. I do know what works for me and so many
other people, that's Atkins. Where you just cut way back on carbs
like you're doing, I'd call that a reduced carb diet. And I'd say
it probably depends on your metabolism. The less insulin resistant
you are, the higher probability you can be successful losing weight
that way without cravings, being hungry, etc. If you're just 20 lbs
overweight and have a reasonable metabolism, I think it will work.
If you're 100 lbs overweight and insulin resistant, probably not.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Doug Freyburger
2015-10-23 20:13:50 UTC
Post by trader4
Post by Spexy1
i initially thought if i could loose 12lb in say 6 weeks and take it
from there, so after losing 6lbs after a few days without hating my
diet and feeling hungry i thought i'd share it with the web.
You did not list portions but what you posted sounds very
low calorie. Low carbing is a way to make portion control
easy but it is not supposed to be a way to do drastic
calorie reduction.
Post by trader4
Post by Spexy1
I read that it is possible to lose up to 20lb in the first few weeks on
this kind of diet, then it plataues and people head for the nearest
bakery and fall back into old way.
There's a standard pattern of events. Fast water loss in
the first two weeks. Then a pause. Then more practical
loss rates based on how much you have to lose.

People who stay too low often pause. One of several reasons
is cortisol stress hormone. Eat too low too long and more
stress hormone gets released. That makes folks irritable
and that drives them back to high carb foods. This is one
of several reasons that low is good but lower is not better.
Post by Spexy1
[...]
There are people who do well cycling. It was common among body
for a couple of decades. It comes with a major problem -

For people who get carb cravings every cycle turns the carb
cravings back on again. People who don't get any carb cravings
the first few times often start to get cravings later. So cycling
gets harder and harder for very many people. Most end up bouncing
on and off plan until it gets so bad they are off plan with little
chance of getting back on plan.

Moderately low carb constantly works better for most than cycling.
Candle
2015-11-03 09:48:50 UTC
I liked your article - some really interesting points. Recently I hav
been trying really hard to get my diet right which has bee
semi-successful. Did you create this diet yourself? Have you done i
yourself?
I was self-conscious leaving the house when I began my diet for obviou
reasons, so I brought the gym to me. I cleared out the garage and pu
some fitness equipment that I got online (Will link below) and haven’
looked back since. I would really recommend it, especially for thos
cold winter nights where you can’t get to the gym.
https://www.hammer-fitness.co.uk

Candle
Susan
2015-12-04 21:26:58 UTC
x-no-archive: yes
Post by Doug Freyburger
People who stay too low often pause. One of several reasons
is cortisol stress hormone. Eat too low too long and more
stress hormone gets released. That makes folks irritable
and that drives them back to high carb foods. This is one
of several reasons that low is good but lower is not better.
Actually, the primary reason people plateau is due to the rapid
reduction in active T3 thyroid hormone that both very low calorie and
very low carb diets cause. It starts happening very quickly, too.

But unless one has an endocrine disorder, both thyroid and cortisol and
their binding globulins will readjust to the vastly altered hormonal
milieu caused by ketosis and adaption will be complete.

More cortisol doesn't necessarily make folks irritable; some folks feel
euphoric from it, btw. Everyone is different. Typically, reversing
hyperinsulinemia will cause the liver to start producing more cortisol
binding globulin, too, to deliver it to cells where it's needed and to
deactivate it if it is not.

Some folks only do well on very low carb, and no health conditions or
problems are documented to occur on it any more than on low, but not
"lower."

Folks should listen to their own bodies and keep an eye on their own
results.

Susan